Table Building 101

|















So you want to create your own gaming table instead of buying a predone one from GW huh? Well here is how my friend and I made our table.

First we started out with a rectangular piece of ply wood (any wood will do really because this is the bottom of your table. According to GW you can make your table in one of three sizes: 4x4, 4x6, or 4x8. I think ours is a little bigger than 4x8 but since we have two sections I can't really remember right now. Next we took a thick piece of insulation foam and glued that to the wood with Nail glue. Next I started work on the hills and the two crevices. We are just carving for now and then while I was doing that my friend was getting some saw dust and glue mixture together for after we started painting the table. So first we took our goblin green to the nearest hardware store for them to get as close a match as possible and then we came home and started painting. Just paint the surface and forget about the edges for now (that comes last). After the paint is completely dry and all areas are covered than we put our sawdust and glue mixture down.

I then started to do little things like put more detail into the hills and the crevice and I even made one of them into a lake. Take my advice though when making any type of water don't use just polyurethane because it gets brown when it drys. So I added rocks to my crevice and a dead body in my lake while my friend started painting the edges black. Our final step was to hit the whole table with clear coat. That's really about it for my green table and we use that for 40K and fantasy and it works out great. The table that my friend and I initially created I wasn't happy with anymore so we redid a few things on it. I used hot glue for the water this time but really try to buy the EZ water or a water kit designed for model trains instead. The hot glue looks a little messy after awhile.

My next board was created by my girlfriend and I initially and then my friend and I had to fix it up a little bit. We took 2 4x4 pieces of peg board and then we put a frame on the bottom so it was stable. After covering up the holes with the insulation foam we began to sand the board until it looked like a desert planet. We didn't use fake craft sand we used real sand so this is probably why I had trouble with the sand staying on the board even though we sprayed the board with spray glue. So when my parents noticed that there was sand all over the garage I thought it was time to fix it up. So my friend and I came up with an ingenious plan to put a cover over top of the boards and then after we did that I had to touch up the sand parts again but this time with spray glue from the hardware store instead of Elmer's. Then my brother and I decided that the frame was too bulky so we completely took it off and scaled it down quite a bit.

Want more table top games, video game, RPG's, gadgets and everything else play? try Hidden Area .

0 comments:

Post a Comment